Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Alberton Papers Vol. IV, # XII
By Dick Darne 7-10-07
More on the journey east.
After dropping off the hitchiker Brad, I turned off the Interstate onto old US-212. It not only is shorter, it is a great ride. When I arrived in Broadus, I decided to stop and take a rest for the long haul across South Dakota tomorrow. After securing a room, I walked up to the local café. Now, wherever you may be. Nothing beats the local café. In most instances, one would only have to change a few names and they would all be mostly the same. This one was named the "Cashaway Café. A posting on the wall caught my eye; this was home to one of the 35 best pies in Montana. A Sister Café, the Sidetrack, in Alberton, shares that same distinction. I was able to become much more pious after dinner. If I were Duncan Hines, I would recommend it highly. Being somewhat of an expert on fine dining myself, you can believe me when I say go visit the fine folks yourself. Have a piece of pie. After a fine breakfast early the next morning, served by master chef and morning cook, Bucky, I was back on the road.
On the road again, out of Montana, thru a little bit of Wyoming, into South Dakota and back on I-90 and the first thing I noticed was REAL REST AREAS. Clean. Staffed. Eager to serve visitors to their State. far, far better than even the "token rest areas" at the far corners of Montana. This trend of clean, staffed and properly spaced rest areas would continue all the way across S. Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania. West Virginia and Maryland. I stopped at most of them and slept at quite a few. Well patrolled, just park over with the big rigs and have a snooze. Sit at a table under one of the small pavillions and enjoy a fresh made PB&J, which go down all right until you run low on jelly. Then it’s a slow, painful descent of the peanut butter down the gullet.
On the second day, I arrived in Fedora, S. Dakota, to visit Alberton’s First Brother, Don Hanson, who graciously took me on a tour of Fedora, Roswell and a couple of other towns. Don is a master collector and connoisseur of collectables and a former resident of Alberton. We then played a little billiards, picked a couple tunes and shot a little bull. The skies were clear, so we got to see the evening star right next to a crescent moon. The rest was good, and the march would become a little more forced now. This is about mile one thousand from Alberton.
Stay tuned, dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home