Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Alberton Papers, vol2, #3
By Dick Darne 6-6-06
In this paper we will discuss another serious problem, poor raking skills by our youth. Nobody wants to "rake like they mean it" anymore. When I was a young feller, I not only raked like I meant it, I did it uphill all day. Barefooted too. Absolutely glad to have the opportunity to develop my raking skills. I was also torn by conflicts in my multi-cultured upbringing. My Teutonic genes made me want to rake straight lines in an ever shrinking square or rectangle, culminating in a perfectly symmetrical finished pile. On the other hand, the genes originating in the emerald isles made me inclined toward the "willy-nilly" style of raking. Thanks to my developing character, (and not a few slaps from the old man), the "rake like you mean it" style won out. Alas, I was not as successful with my own progeny, they once "wobbled the job", hoping I would just do it myself. I showed ‘em. We spent the whole weekend doing a four hour job. 30 years later they will testify that’s what made them what they are today. I tried to teach my daughter the virtues of good raking and all I got was a full bore mutiny. When Adam Good worked for me all thru high school, he was a natural raker. My boys said they didn’t rake right because I didn’t pay them anything. I guess that proves that "it’s not the principle, it’s the money". Kids will work for other people, so I propose a two pronged attack: 1) establish "Camp Rake Like You Mean It", where kids can learn this important skill instead of frittering away the summer. 2) establish a "Kid-Exchange". You need work done around your place, drop off your kid and pick up another one. All that’s left is lean back and enjoy some good raking. Happy raking, dd