Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Alberton Papers
Vol II, # 8
By Dick Darne 7-23-06
Someone once said: "you can’t go back to being a kid again". That is not true. This is a report on the bicycle trip. First the facts: four grown men, a thirty-something, a forty-something, a fifty- something, and a sixty- something left Alberton Wednesday and rode the Hiawatha trail and the trail of the Coeur D Alenes, about 85 miles. We made it with one flat tire, three made 85 mi., and yours truly at 67 mi. (they decided I looked like I could use some gatorade). We saw spectacular scenery, witnessed the Trail-Marshall crash and burn, and learned what to do and not do on the next trip. Now the rest of the story.
Think back to the thrilling days of youth, when every day was "high adventure". Bicycles were a lot different then, heavy and only one speed, a chore to pull a hill. It seemed we always wound up a long, long way from home, hungry and thirsty and facing a steep grade to get home. All the unexplored was downhill from home, yet we had to do it. For years I believed that I could never go back, all that was left was a fading memory. I did go back, for stretches of the trail, I was a kid again, eagerly watching for what lay around the next bend, the wind blowing thru my grey hair, seeing things I had never seen, pedaling for all I was worth, limited only by my older bones, not my newfound thirst for adventure.
A few pointers: if you do the Hiawatha, get the best light you can. That 8000+ ft. tunnel is dark. Allow for the return bus being full and a extra hour and a half wait. On the Coeur D Alenes trail, get a desert bag, the water in your bottle gets warm. There are pottys but no water for long stretches. Consider parking, and riding out and back. We put over 1200 miles on 2 cars to travel 150 car miles and 85 bicycle miles, the bulk being to "shuffle" between riding points. I heartily recommend either of these trails for you, your family and guests. DD
722-4575 aldermandarne@hotmail.com http://albpap.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home