Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Monday, January 08, 2007

visitors to the think tank

The Alberton Papers, Vol III, # XI
By Dick Darne 1-6-07
THE VISITORS
A couple of days into the new year, I arose early and went out to the new think tank. I figured I’d get a good fire going and eagerly wait for the thinkers to show up. I laid the fire and settled back to wait for the wonderful radiant rays to toast my body and sharpen my mind. Since I hadn’t had any coffee yet, I leaned back and closed my eyes.
Soon the door opened and a stranger walked in. Not a tall, dark one, but a man who looked old, like he had seen a lot. Thinking it must be a new retired wise man in town, I jumped up to introduce myself. "I’m Dick, curator of the Gravely Institute and sponsor of the Think Tank."
"Sit down, Sonny Boy, that don’t impress me, there’s more a-coming and I’m just here to learn, the name’s Eldergeeser, you can call me Elder." He reached for the doorknob, opened the door, and the most elegant lady I had ever seen walked, or I should say, floated in.
She looked so familiar, yet difficult to describe. Each time she turned she looked different. She was at once, all races, all tribes, all classes. I was a bit dumbfounded, after all, the Institute was one of the last bastions of maleness. No girls allowed.
Before I could speak, she introduced herself. "I am Lady Liberty." She did resemble the image on some of the old coins, but in person she looked older and wiser. As if sensing my bewilderment and confusion, she replied to the question not asked yet, "That’s not the real me on the coins, a bunch of PR guys did that without my consent, years ago, you know ‘ Rah-rah-wave the flag; we’re number one; stuff. Liberty is more than slogans, and it does require serious thinking, and I’m here to help the Think Tank get it’s mind straight. There’s already too many think-tanks churning out rotten thinking."
Elder twisted the knob again, and another lady strode through the door.
This one was elegant in a different way. First, she looked like she could play front-four for any NFL team. She also had the "Mom" air about her, including the built-in lie detector. This lady didn’t take any guff, yet like a Mom, she would go the distance for you, but even the best Mom has her limits.
"Mother Nature’s the name, Junior, and what are you staring at?" Well, I had always pictured her differently and it must have shown.
"Yeah, PR idiots again, making me out to be a prancing little fairy. They did get one thing right, it IS NOT nice to try to fool Mother Nature, and you can’t fool me anyway. Lotta men tried, lotta men died. Heh heh."
"You thinkers start thinking, we’ll be watching and we will be back," said Elder. I started to ask how to get in touch with them, but they were gone. Next thing I knew, it was cold, the fire had died out and I was alone. Did this happen? Stay tuned. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home