Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

McMansions

The Alberton Papers, Vol IV, #14
By Dick Darne 7-24-07
McMansions
"So, Dick, what the heck is a McMansion" someone in the think tank asked.
"Well, I’m not sure of the whys but the equivalent here would be the ‘McRanchhouse’. They are huge, usually brick with lots of windows. Something like ‘ol massa’ used to live in." I replied.
"Must take a lot of cordwood to heat one of them." said Bill Woods.
"I doubt any of the owners ever cut and stacked any firewood, at least not in those quantities." said Johnny Sixgun.
"They probably hire Mexicans to do any meaningful work." added Todd Young
" I heard grumbling about the Mexicans wanting fifteen bucks an hour and from what I saw, they worked very hard doing what the McMansionites were either unable or unwilling to do" I said.
"You say there were thousands and thousands of these things all around D.C. Just what do all these people do, or put another way, how can that many people be worth enough compensation to afford that lifestyle?" asked Gno Lackawitz
"Maybe they all need to show the world that they are somebody." said Johnny.
"I’ve always wondered just how everybody can be this ‘somebody’. Said Bill
"Yeah, I remember my old man always telling me, ‘stay in school, go to college, be somebody’." mused Johnny.
"And if everyone did that and became ‘somebody’, then everybody would be a ‘nobody’." said Bill. "Kinda like ‘keep up with the Joneses’."
"Or conspicuous consumption" related Todd.
A booming voice from the back sounded, "A spade is a spade. They are using far more than their share. In polite company, you mortals would tend to be, well, polite. I don’t have to be. Sounds to me like they are suffering from a couple of mankind’s ancient afflictions, Greed and Selfishness. The fact that so many can do this means that more than a few of them have larceny in their hearts."
Padre never was one to mince words.
"Dick, tell them about your bus ride from McMansionville to D.C." added Padre.
Folks, we’re out of space for this week, so stay tuned for the bus ride next week and my erudition of social justice. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home