Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

musings from beautiful downtown Alberton

The Alberton Papers, Vol. V, #XIII
By Dick Darne 1-22-08
Musings from beautiful downtown Alberton
After all the hoopla and blather associated with the football games, is there anyone else that has noticed the fount of football knowledge and rather high level of discourse both from the talking heads and the general populace? Just imagine for a moment that this was all applied to politics, the workings of government, the Constitution and the intent of our founding fathers, World history, American history, civics, how to make this world a better place, community, tolerance and so on. When I went to high school, we were taught civics, American history and American government. Don’t they do this anymore? An appropriate question would be "is our children learning?". Maybe the function of schools has morphed into a "compliant consumer factory", and heaven forbid any of our little consumer trainees should question any authority but should be content with the nice circus provided for them.
As for myself, after a bout of illness that kept me in the hospital for eight days spanning xmas day, new medicines with side effects and a very low sodium diet allowance (this means I will kill you to get your potato chips, so beware), I feel like I have earned a good deep depression but my problems pale to those of others. My best friend is in the hospital in Seattle far more ill than I was. I also am sad for all the people with inadequate health care, who may never get care until it’s too late. Maybe some of the discourse dreamed of above would apply here.
It’s still a great day to be alive in good old Alberton. I wish my friend Tom was here to enjoy it as we have almost every morning since retirement. Heal and get back here Tommy me lad. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home