Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

hiawatha

The Alberton Papers, Vol. VI, # XIV
By Dick Darne 7-14-08
Bike trip # 2 report. I and my niece, Debbie (a former AHS BB star) my two great nieces and my granddaughter rode the Hiawatha last week. After somewhat of a late start, frantic packing of essentials and tying five bikes on the "Swedish Suburban", we hit the road about noon. I was a little concerned about the girls navigating the tunnel but they took to it like a bunch of bats. Since I towed the trailer with all the goodies and had last pick of the lights, I didn’t do quite as well but looking at the brighter side, I had two hikes, pushing a bike and trailer well over three miles. Everyone enjoyed the trip in spite of the less than stellar administration of the trail. We had purchased return trips on the bus, the last one supposedly leaving the far end at quarter past four. An hour before that, with less than four miles to go, we were hurried along by one of the trail marshals. "Stop reading the signs and hurry along, we don’t want to delay the bus." he said. We hurried. Arriving at the end we came upon a very long line of bikes and riders, seventy eight to be exact. After asking what the capacity of the bus was, (twenty-five), it was apparent that it would take three buses and leaving three riders behind. No apologies from the "hurry up" guy, but a lame explanation of "things happen". In fairness, the other marshals did apologize, and the blame in any account should be directed upwards, the management knew how many tickets were sold, and should have been able to plan accordingly. We had to wait two hours for the third bus, which actually was the first bus because they only had two busses running. Oh yes, I almost forgot, this happened the last time I was here. My parting experience with the trail was more pleasant though. As I was slogging through the tunnel to get to the car, one of the marshals, a young lady whose name escapes me, slowed to my pace and made sure I got through the tunnel safely. This will still be the last time I will pay them any money to ride the Hiawatha. I hope when the Montana portion is opened it will be managed better. Poor Nellie, the Wonder Dog had to sit this one out but she’s speaking to me again. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home