Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

things frequently are as they seem

The Alberton Papers, Vol. VI, #XIV
By Dick Darne 8-18-08
"Things frequently are as they seem." Ogden Nash.
After all that has transpired lately in Alberton, one wonders; what next? Sometimes, not knowing all the behind the scene facts, one can be mistaken about what appears to be happening and must rely on what seems to be happening. So off we go, on ruminations of what seems to be.
I was fortunate to have gone to school when Civics, World History, American History and American Government were taught. I was fortunate to have been encouraged to seek the truth and read voraciously (albeit skeptically) everything I could get my hands on. Sometimes fiction can be a great teacher as is first hand observation. My beliefs have been tested over the years and many have been replaced but my core beliefs on democracy and government are still intact, although severely battered at times. I was raised "inside the beltway" next to Washington D.C., I do know what poor government looks like. I know what corruption looks like. I know what pandering politicians look like. I also have seen authority running amok, rife with idiots who have no business being in charge of anything at all, believing that all the citizens that they have been charged to (and supposedly sworn to) protect and serve are nothing but "perps" until proven otherwise with cynicism reserved for old burnt out cops who spent twenty years in the inner city among the worst of the worst.
Now to the "seems". It seems like there was no need to arrest a family member at the beginning of a funeral service for an outstanding warrant for an unrelated incident that occurred elsewhere. It seems like arrest warrants on local people would be easier if there was some connection to the community other than a display of raw authority. It seems like that same connection might even help with what they actually looked like. It seems that demanding respect is not the same as commanding it by virtue of earning it.
To my constituents: if I could take it back, I would gladly "flip-flop" and vote against the hefty bundle of what seems like "blackmail payment" to buy our minimal law enforcement. To you and all the rest of the county: this seems like "creeping fascism" Tell me it ain’t so, but it surely seems that way.
Enough "seeming" for now, I must prepare myself mentally for the retaliation that will surely come to me. Watch my back and think about this.
Ogden had another one: "Only the game fish swims upstream, the sensible fish swims down." But then so does dead fish and garbage. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home