Name:
Location: alberton, mt., United States

I am a retired steamfitter and vocational instructor, Current member, alberton town council, having served two terms previously, several years ago. Resident of alberton almost 28 years. I am fiscally conservative and socially progressive, a free thinker and an advocate of good, responsive, honest government.

Monday, September 04, 2006

The Alberton Papers Vol.II, #13
By Dick Darne, Labor Day, 2006
"Without Unions, we’d all be going to work at seven" (years old, that is)
From a poster at the labor temple.
This Labor Day, as I sit in my house,(made possible by union wages) writing on my computer, (also from union wages), enjoying life, (made possible by my union pension) enjoying reasonably good health,( thanks to my union health care ) I can reflect on some things that we all tend to take for granted. It wasn’t too long ago when there was no such thing as "have a nice weekend".
What remained of a weekend, if anything, was needed to rest. Eight hour day, forget it. You worked ‘till the sun set. Had there been better lighting available, maybe all night. Public schools, thank organized labor. Retirement and healthcare, unions again. Not only did the unions improve their lot, but it improved the wages and conditions of those who did not belong. There are some out there who believe that everything they have is solely due to their hard work, good character and the benevolence of their employer. (Dream on Mr. Block.) Most of labor history is not taught in schools, but it is out there. We, of organized labor, have our flaws, sometimes we miss the big picture and yes, sometimes we fail to live up to our ideals, but I hope we can keep the dream alive. The one small part of the oath that I took and administered to many new members, that I remember well and recommend is: " Extend a helping hand to all branches of honorable toil". Let’s all do that. dd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home